Making A Protein Shake
a quick and easy meal!
Step 1: Liquid (1-2cups)
- Milk – cow, almond, oat, hemp, soy, coconut, kefir
Step 2: Fruit – fresh, frozen or canned in its own juice (½-1cup)
strawberries raspberries melon
banana peaches mango
blueberries kiwi apples
pineapple blackberries cherries
Step 3: Protein – Use one option or combine a few together!
- Protein powder – whey, soy, hemp, brown rice, pumpkin seed (check the label and use up to 15-20g protein from powder)
- Skim milk powder (2-4 tablespoons)
- Cottage cheese or greek yogurt (1/4cup)
- Cooked or canned and rinsed lentils or legumes (1/4cup)
- Tofu – silken or soft (1/2cup)
- Liquid pasteurized egg product (1/4cup)
- Nuts, seeds or nut butter – peanut or almond butter, hemp hearts (1-2 tablespoons)
Step 4: Healthy Fats
- Avocado – fresh or frozen (1/4-1/2small)
- Ground flax and chia (1 teaspoon-2 tablespoons)
- Seeds and nut butters
- Liquid oil – olive, grapeseed, avocado (1-2teaspoons)
Step 5: Fibre (1 teaspoon-2 tablespoons)
- Ground flax, chia, wheat bran or germ, psyllium husk, raw oats, oat bran
Step 5: Optional
- Chocolate – 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Spices/flavouring – cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, turmeric, vanilla extract, lemon zest
- Instant coffee
- Vegetables – fresh or frozen spinach or kale, cucumber, celery, broccoli
- Sweeteners – dates, honey, maple syrup
- Drink right away. Smoothies tend to separate after about 20 minutes and can be reblended if needed. Depending on ingredients, it may thicken over time.
- Blend into desired consistency. Use more liquid for thinner shakes. Use frozen foods or ice cubes to make thicker.
- Creamier texture – frozen banana, avocado, yogurt, cottage cheese.
- Peel, slice and freeze bananas to have on hand. Peeling first prevents browning!
- When choosing a protein powder keep it simple and watch for added ingredients like sugar. Opt for flavours like vanilla or plain and add ingredients like cocoa powder or cinnamon which gives you more flavour options.
Combine and blend until smooth. Add liquid ingredients first and frozen items last.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana
1 cup of 1% milk,
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1-2 teaspoons peanut butter
1 tablespoon hemp hearts
1 teaspoon ground flax
1 frozen banana
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
scoop of plain or vanilla protein
powder (20g protein as per label)
1 tablespoon chia
1 cup of skim milk
½ cup soft tofu
1 teaspoon ground flax
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup frozen fruit (peaches, mango and pineapple)
2 handfuls or fresh spinach
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup of water
4 tablespoons skim milk powder
2 teaspoons wheat germ
1 teaspoon honey
½ small or ¼ cup diced frozen
1 cup mixed frozen berries